Thursday, January 19, 2012

We're still here.......

....but we're tired. The kid is just starting to sleep a bit better after cutting molars at only 14 months old so hopefully I can pick back up and post on the blog more often. It's been a whole month with zero posts, I have been cooking and baking but it's been the same stuff I've already posted.

So here's a quick update on how we're doing:

  • Grocery budget. Still doing decently, coming in around $250-$280 for the past couple months depending on whether we need to pick up any bulk items
  • Schedule. Awesome, Alice and I are up between 8 and 9 every day, she naps between 1 and 2, she's in her own bed and asleep by 8 most nights with the occasional exception where she won't sleep until 9. So much better than it used to be but she still wakes up a lot at night. I've also been getting dinner ready by 6 and we get the apartment cleaned up before 8. No more dishes sitting around all night and crumbs all over the floor
  • Spending. Oops, we've done quite a bit of shopping due to receiving Christmas money, cashing our Swagbucks in for Amazon and Paypal giftcards and forgetting about the once every 3 months HST rebate cheque. I shop a lot more wisely than I used to, most items were useful things, kitchen stuff, socks, underwear and whatnot. Jon bought more gear.  I put money into Alice's RESP.
  • Saving for a house. Putting a bit away at a time, it's going to take a very long time to get enough to buy a house. At this point we might be better off moving to a 2 bedroom place this summer, something on the top floor so that we're not bothered by people upstairs. I honestly don't know how much longer I can put up with the noise, right now they are talking loudly and thumping around right above me.
  • Takeout. The occasional lunch, something cheap like a slice of pizza or McDonalds with a coupon. We're doing very good! We have a planned takeout night coming up for my birthday, we're ordering in Thai or Chinese but making our own rice to save about $2.
  • Treats. If we want sweets I usually just bake something. We rarely buy chocolate or pop now. I haven't had licorice since the summer! Today we both had a can of Coke and a chocolate bar and I really didn't feel well for a while after.
  • Exercise. I have not resumed jogging,  I would like to do it in the morning but it doesn't fit into my schedule and I'm too tired at night and just want to rest. The weather has also been pretty crappy, this morning it was so cold that I didn't take Alice to baby time at the library. When it's not unusually chilly it's pouring rain.
  • Job search. I honestly haven't really been trying after the initial attempt. I'm so tired from so many night wakings, feedings and trying to stay awake long enough to get her back into her own bed that I don't know how I would have managed if someone had hired me! Will try again if Alice ever gets to the point where she's sleeping halfway through the night. 15 months of sleep deprivation is really taking it's toll on me. I think I need to just leave for a weekend, hide out somewhere and sleep. Haha.
I think that's about it for now, it's midnight and I've been interrupted trying to write this post about half a dozen times now.

No comments:

Post a Comment