Monday, May 30, 2011

Thin crust pizza

[post by Holly]
Now it's time to make your pizzas using your homemade dough (see previous post).

The crust
Start heating your oven to 400 degrees.
Take your freshly prepared or thawed dough and plop it down on a lightly floured table. Get a bit of flour on both sides, you basically want to get rid of any spots that are gooey and will stick to your fingers or the table. I have no idea how to properly spread out pizza dough so I just gently pull and pat as I spread the dough and pinch together any holes that happen to form when it gets too thin in areas.
When I have each piece nearly as big as I want them I transfer them to the pans I'm using and start pulling the edges until I've filled the whole pan and left a little ridge for the crust. The crust should be pretty thin, I can usually see the pan through mine.

I don't pre-bake my crust, I just add all toppings and bake.

Toppings
On one of my pizzas I used half a can of pizza sauce, some ranch dressing, leftover chicken breast, red onion, fresh basil from my window, some chopped tomato that went mushy and would otherwise be thrown away and mozzarella. I pretty much just use leftovers on my pizza.

The other pizza had half a can of pizza sauce, hot genoa salami, red onion, a little bit of green pepper left from stirfry, cheddar and mozzarella.You can put almost anything you want on them.

Oven time
Pop them in the preheated oven at 400* for about 15 minutes, a bit longer if you like your toppings crispy or if you've put wet toppings like tomato or pineapple on.
Slice into 8.
We usually eat 6 pieces each (too much!) and have an extra 4 for lunch another day. [btw, leftover pizza is 325* for 7 minutes]

The pictures below should fill in the blanks. If there is anything you're unsure of please leave a comment.












No comments:

Post a Comment