Monday, June 20, 2011

Apple Berry Pie

I baked Jon an apple berry pie for Daddy's Day using the other half of my pie dough that I put in the freezer after making the chicken pie. I just took it out in the morning to thaw in the fridge and it was ready to use by 5pm.

It's super easy to make a pie. I usually do an apple pie but I decided to add berries to it this time for something a bit different.

Here's what you need:
  • Premade pie crust [recipe]
  • 2 Apples ( I have Ambrosia because that's what I buy )
  • 1 cup mixed berries
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger (optional)
I made the mistake of rolling my pie crust before I did the fruit and it shrunk back up a bit. Also my fruit didn't have a chance to sit and "steep" so the pie was a bit runny and the sugar wasn't well distributed. Oh well, one of those for next time lessons.

Start off by peeling your apples and thinly slicing them into a bowl. Dump your mixed fruit in on top, add everything else and stir it around. Now let it sit so the fruit juice can seep into everything else.

Get your pie crust ready as explained in the pie crust recipe.


Once your pie crust is ready give the filling another good stir and then dump it in and pat it down a bit. Get the top crust on, pinch it closed, trim off the extra ( don't forget to save it! ) and then give the whole top of the pie a good stabbing before popping it in the oven.


Bake at 400 for 45 minutes. It needs to bake a bit longer than an apple pie would because all the berry juices need to thicken up a bit.

NOM NOM fresh baked pie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment