Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Quick Stovetop Ribs

This is a quick recipe as far as ribs go, it takes about an hour and a half with prep and cooking time and only uses 1 pot. Usually you have to slow cook ribs nearly all day or boil and then barbecue them for them to be tender. I don't have the time to do that, I also don't have a barbecue or slowcooker AND I don't want the oven going all day.




I kind of just made this recipe up last night, I had never cooked ribs before even though I've eaten them tons of times!

Here's what I did.




I bought 4 of these pork ribs from the butcher, it said Pork Country Side Ribs on the tag. I have no idea if that's a good cut or not, they were $3.69/lb compared to the $4.99/lb for some other kinds of pork and beef ribs. They looked good and meaty so I got them.

First I turned my oven on to 375 and put in my baked potatoes, they were fairly big ones so they took the entire hour and a half to cook.  I just rinse them, chop them in half and wrap them in foil.


I put the ribs in a pot just big enough to fit them and poured in 2 cups of water. I chopped up 2 cloves of garlic, 1/4 of a white onion and about 1/4 of the large carrot I had already cut up to go with dinner and threw all that in then turned the burner on to medium.
Then I dug out some random condiments to make the sauce. Here's an approximation of what went into the pot since I just kind of dolloped and dashed without measuring. I have a good eye for amounts but not everybody does so here you go.





Rib sauce:
  •  1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon worchestershire sauce
  • 3 tablespoons light soy sauce ( if you only have regular or dark then use half of this, it's salty!)
  • 1 tablespoon smoky barbecue sauce
  • 2 heaping tablespoons marmalade
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper


Stir everything around and then put the lid on the pot, let it boil for an hour, stirring occasionally and flipping the ribs over. Then take off the lid to let the liquid evaporate and the sauce thicken for 15 minutes.

About 10 minutes in I took the ribs out and put them on a foil lined pan so my sauce could get good and thick. I had to stir a lot at this point so that it didn't stick and burn.

Then I turned the burner off and spooned some of my thick sauce onto each rib and popped them into the oven for 15 minutes. When the ribs went into the oven I turned my carrots on to steam. Everything should be ready at the same time.




 See, not too difficult, just a bit time consuming. They were so nice and tender, I want some more right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment